The 10th Annual ‘Blas na hEireann’, The Irish Food Awards will take place this weekend in Dingle, Co. Kerry. Last year 2500 food products were entered – including meats, cheeses, breads, vinegars, chutneys, cakes and biscuits.
“Blas na hEireann was founded so that quality benchmarks could be established for Irish produce on a level playing field” (Blas na hEireann Statemement)
The judges are assembled through a mixed effort by University College Cork, Copenhagen University and The Baking Academy in Dublin.
The awards form part of the Dingle Food Festival. There are a number of events taking place throughout the town, this weekend including:
- cookery demonstrations in St. James’ Church,
- workshops in The Dingle Courthouse & on Orchard Lane,
- whiskey, wine & gin tastings at Random Restaurant Pop Up Drinks Academy,
- the Blas na hEireann The Irish Food Awards,
- craft beer & cider trail,
- farmer’s forum at an Diseart,
- street entertainment, including live music stages & Dingle Carnival Band,
- Maperath Mobile Farm, located in Dingle Town Park, whose aim is to show young and old about the different farm animals on Irish farms & their role in producing quality food that is safe & affordable for consumers,
- children events inc. Where’s Dory? Workshop, Kingdom Falconry, Dingle Bumper Ballz, The Brickx Club, face painting & more.
See more from the Dingle Food Festival website.